What You Need to Know About Renting Boats On Lake Mead
Lake Mead is one of the most picturesque settings for any vacation, ideal for spending a few hours or a few days on the water. At Lake Mead Mohave Adventures, we’ve seen countless vacationers fall in love with this destination, even when they visit during the dead of winter.
The initial excitement of renting a boat can spark traditions that last for decades, and we highly encourage our guests to take full advantage of everything this place has to offer. If you’re looking for unique things to do in Nevada, see what you should know about renting a boat in this gorgeous location.
Know the Score
Boat rentals can be anything from houseboats to small watercraft, depending on your plans for the day. If you’re going to a popular area, reservations are usually essential. You should also learn more about a destination’s regulation of certain areas. In a poorly maintained spot, summer weekenders can quickly run out of room if they’re not careful. No matter when your reservation is, make sure you get there early so that you can get all the paperwork out of the way before you kick off the fun.
Find Out Who’s Renting
At Lake Mead Mohave Adventures, renting boats on Lake Mead can be done at the following locations:
- Cottonwood Cove Resort & Marina: Known for both its deluxe houseboats (up to 75 feet) and watercraft, this spot boasts a wide selection.
- Willow Beach Marina & Campground: Willow Beach is stocked with both small water crafts, canoes, and kayaks.
- Temple Bar Resort Marina: This full-service marina offers a variety of watercraft rentals at affordable rates.
- Callville Bay Resort & Marina: Ski boats, houseboats, and personal watercrafts await you at this full-service marina.
Every location in and around Lake Mead will have a slightly different flavor, so it’s important to find out who’s renting and what your options are before you go. We’ll look at the different locations and what you can expect from each one.
At Cottonwood Cove Resort & Marina, you’ll find a large RV park and camping facilities in addition to the boat rentals. Located near Laughlin, NV, the full-service park tempts vacationers from all over the world.
Willow Beach Marina & Campground is in the Black Canyon region of the Colorado River, and has a full 235 miles of shoreline. The amount of wildlife to be found here is extraordinary, and even if you don’t spot it all, you’ll have plenty of scenery to keep your eyes occupied.
You’ll find canoes, powerboats, and a number of other watercraft here, in addition to a convenience store, gift shop, restaurant, and campgrounds. The extra amenities make this a must for families who want a few creature comforts when exploring so much natural beauty.
Temple Bar is on the Arizona side of the largest man-made Reservoir in the country. It’s about five hours from Phoenix and a quick 1.5 hours from the big lights of Las Vegas. When you visit this location, you’ll find a regular bar, cafe, convenience store, and a gift shop. If you’re bringing an RV, you’ll find full hook-ups so you can get settled in.
Callville Bay Resort & Marina
More than 550 miles of shoreline below Red Rock cliffs, featuring countless bays and beaches, Callville is just an hour from Vegas and loaded with things to do. Excellent for extended stays if you’re looking for a houseboat but equally perfect for a day trip on the water.
Watch for Weather
Weather conditions can get extreme in Nevada, often brought on by unexpected storms or intense heat. When you have to make reservations in advance, it’s not always possible to rent a boat on perfect days. If you’re not paying attention to the forecast, you can end up in a situation that you weren’t expecting.
While bad weather often makes for good stories, we mention this tip more for safety reasons. To avoid unintentional accidents or injuries, make sure that you know what you’re getting into and pack/plan accordingly. A few extra sets of clothing can end up being the most important things in your bag.
Do (a Little) Homework
At Lake Mead Mohave Adventures, our staff is here to give you general advice and safety tips. If you have any questions or encounter any real problems on the water, you can count on us to be there. That being said, you’ll still want to be as prepared as possible when you’re out on your own. Ideally, you’ll not only have all the contact information for the marina, but you should also let someone know how long you plan to be out and when you’re planning to be back.
Being on the water is one of the most calming experiences in the world for many people, but it’s important not to get too complacent when you’re out there. Make sure you have your boater’s safety card and training so you know you’ll have a safe trip. Taking a few precautions when you rent a boat on Lake Mead can be enough to stave off any potential hiccups to your time off.
Take Your Supplies
Whether you’re on a houseboat for a few days or a canoe for a few hours, you’ll want to have the necessities. Here are just a few universal reminders on what to pack:
- Clothes: If you end up getting wet, you’ll likely want something dry to change into. Taking clothes for all-weather situations means you’ll stay protected from the elements as well.
- Sunscreen: The sun can really get going during the thick of the day, so having sunscreen with you on a boat rental (even if you’ve applied it before you went out on the water).
- Food/water: Boat rentals in Lake Mead are pretty tame in that you won’t wind up lost at sea, but it helps to pack some necessities if you end up staying out longer than you thought.
- Towels: Whether you need a towel to keep out the heat or to dry off if you end up in the water, this is a handy item to stash.
- Anti-nausea medication: Even people who aren’t used to getting motion sickness can end up feeling quite uncomfortable. Having a patch or pill can quickly get everyone back in the swing of things.
If you’re going to be out on a houseboat, consider bringing more comforts from home (including extra toiletries). Staying at a location like Willow Beach or Temple Bar ensures you won’t have to look very far to find what you need.
Reserve a Boat Online at Lake Mead Mohave Adventures
Lake Mead makes it possible to skip the lines at the launch ramps. We have a variety of rental boats, ranging from 17′ fishing skiffs to decked out houseboats. If you’re looking for unique things to do in Nevada, all you have to do to reserve a boat is head online.